Dangers of electrical fires highlighted by death of woman

Posted on

The dangers of electrical fires have being highlighted after a house fire which led to the death of a woman.

Firefighters were called to a house at Acrefair, Wales, on November 18. The blaze had damaged the kitchen and caused smoke damage throughout.

A man and a woman were taken to hospital, where the woman died. The cause of the fire is thought to be an electrical problem in or close to the fridge.

Justin Evans, head of community safety for North Wales Fire and Rescue Service,  said: “This fire clearly shows the danger of electrical fires – they can strike anytime, anywhere.

“Yesterday we launched our new campaign highlighting the importance of the safe use of white goods appliances as part of Electrical Safety Week.

“Our advice is to be as prepared as possible in the event of fire, by ensuring that working smoke alarms are fitted on every floor of your home and that you have clear escape routes to enable you and your family to exit your home as quickly as possible.”

Simple steps to help prevent an electrical fire in your home include:

  • Don’t overload plug sockets
  • Do regularly check for worn or frayed wires
  • Do unplug appliances when not in use
  • Do keep appliances clean and in good working order
  • Do fully unwind extension cables prior to use.
  • Do follow the manufacturer’s instructions on the use and maintenance of appliances.

Consultants at EP Risk Consultancy offer fire risk assessments and fire awareness training.